Tony Liscio (Anthony Liscio)

Tony Liscio

Tony Liscio was selected by the Green Bay Packers in the third round (42nd overall) of the 1963 NFL Draft. He was also drafted by the New York Jets in the tenth round (75th overall) of the 1963 AFL Draft. During training camp he was used as a defensive end and defensive tackle. He was eventually released the week of the season opener on September 10. Liscio was claimed off waivers by the Dallas Cowboys who switched him to offense, and named him the starter at left tackle (5 starts) at the end of his rookie season. He would go on to become a stalwart on the Cowboys offensive line for almost a decade and only the second player in franchise history to hold this position after replacing Bob Fry. In 1964, he started 10 games before being placed on the injured reserve list with a right knee injury. He lost all of the 1965 season after suffering complications (staph infection) from an offseason knee surgery. In 1966, he was able to recover enough to resume his career and being named the starter at left guard (10 starts) and eventually moved back to left tackle (4 starts) at the end of the season. The next year, he played in the 1967 NFL Championship Game famously known as the “The Ice Bowl”. In 1970, he only played in 11 games (7 starts) because of back problems.

On May 19, 1971, Tony Liscio was sent to the San Diego Chargers as part of the “Bambi” trade that brought Hall of Famer Lance Alworth to the Cowboys. During his first 8 seasons, he helped them reach 2 NFC Championships and 1 Super Bowl, while playing in 89 games, many of them with injuries. He never played a game for the Chargers because of injuries. He had problems with both of his hamstrings and a flare up the back problems that cost him the second half of the 1970 season. On September 8, 1971, he was traded to the Miami Dolphins along with a fourth round draft choice (#91-Larry Ball) in exchange for center Carl Mauck. In mid-November 1971, the Cowboys needed help at left tackle after multiple injuries at the position hit the team. Ralph Neely fractured his leg in a motorcycle accident, Don Talbert broke a bone in his foot, and Forrest Gregg was limited in the last season of his 16-year Hall of Fame career. Tom Landry called Liscio on Monday November 15, and he reported to the team on Wednesday to start at left tackle against the Washington Redskins on Sunday. Tony Liscio went into that Redskins game with his right leg taped from the ankle to the hip and both shoulders hurt. The Cowboys won 13-0, earning first place in the NFC East division. His opponent that day was defensive end Verlon Biggs, who never reached the quarterback.

Tony Liscio would not allow a sack in the eight starts during his comeback and the team was undefeated with him at left tackle. He and Alworth also ended up as Super Bowl VI teammates. In that game, Liscio successfully blocked Bill Stanfill, helping Duane Thomas and other running backs register 252 rushing yards. Liscio retired after being the runner-up for the NFL Comeback Player of the Year Award. Tony Liscio died on June 18, 2017, at age 76 at his Lake Highlands home.


  • July, 02, 1940
  • USA
  • Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania


  • June, 18, 2017
  • USA
  • Dallas, Texas

884 profile views