Samuel Hill (Samuel Hill)

Samuel Hill

In 1829 Samuel Hill and John McNamar (aka McNeil) built the first general store in New Salem. A few years later they dissolved the partnership by mutual consent and Hill expanded his investments & opened a carding mill. He was postmaster until 1833 when Lincoln assumed the position in an appointment by President Andrew Jackson. In 1835 Samuel Hill built the only full two-story home in New Salem for his bride. It also was one of few buildings in the village known to have a porch.  Family links:  Spouse:  Parthena Williams Nance Hill (1816 – 1898)*  Children:  Elizabeth Hill (1840 – 1848)* *Calculated relationship


  • November, 12, 1800
  • USA


  • November, 11, 1857
  • USA


  • Rose Hill Cemetery
  • Illinois
  • USA

2064 profile views